Saturday, April 20, 2013

Hero nursing home workers in West, Texas Nursing Home

This is who we are.

Dr. Smith and the employees and neighbors of West Rest Haven Nursing Home, A five star facility in West, Texas:



WEST, Texas -- A battered and bloody EMS director is recounting the moments leading up to the massive explosion at a fertilizer plant in the Central Txas town of West.
George Smith said they got a report of a fire at the plant, so they sent fire trucks and an EMS unit.
Meanwhile, he went to help senior citizens who lived nearby.
"I saw how bad it was, so I went to the nursing home... I'm the medical director for the nursing home. I went over to the station closest to where the fire was and called all personnel to me that were there in the building and said, 'Get people evacuated to the far side of the building," Smith said. "Luckily we had most everybody out then. But then there was just a major, major explosion. The windows came in on me, the roof came in on me, the ceiling came in. I worked my way out to go get some more help."
About a hundred residents were safely evacuated.  We, who are also nursing home folks, know they will not see the 100 saved, they will only remember the few who were lost.   We, who are nursing home folks, honor and support them.  Well done.  You ran towards the fire and stayed after the explosion to evacuate.  
We are so very proud of you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment